|Selecting the right Kettler tricycle for your child is not an easy decision. With so many choices, it is more like shopping for a new car rather than a child's toy. Although the color of the frames and seats vary from tricycle to tricycle, the main differences come in the features. |
Kettler HKS Tricycle Features
HKS, which stands for "Heinz Kettler Special", is the distinction that Kettler gives to their top of the line tricycles. The HKS tricycles include the Kettler Air Navigator, Kettler Navigator, and the Kettler Prinzessin Navigator. All Kettler HKS tricycles have six distinct features.
- A Lifetime Manufacturer's Frame Warranty. This covers defects in the frame for as long as you own the tricycle. No fine print, you will be ensured that you are purchasing a tricycle that will last!
- A 400 pound weight limit. The Kettler HKS Tricycle Seats are built to withstand weights up to 400 pounds. Although no child will get up to this weight, it gives you a peace of mind knowing that they are constructed for heavy duty use.
- Parental Control Lock. A mechanism located on the front of the tricycle that locks the handle bars in the forward position by pushing the knob up and down. This ensures that when pushing you are in control of the direction of the tricycle.
- Auto-Freewheel. A Kettler engineering feature that allows the front wheel to go around while the peddles remain stationery. This allows your little one to easily ride without the peddles rotating around and hitting them in the feet. It also allows the Kettler Lil-Foote Kettrest to easily be placed over the peddles to allow a larger platform for your rider to place their feet. The autofreewheel is automatically engaged, so once your child grows and is ready to peddle and puts pressure on the peddles the trike functions just as a standard tricycle. This 3 in 1 pedal system, allows for reverse peddling for braking, just like an old fashioned bicycle, or keep the pedals motionless for coasting action.
- Quick Adjust Frame. Multiple position adjustable frame allows the tricycle to grow with your child. With the Quick-Adjust knob you make the switch in seconds.
- Compact Storage. This features allows the tricycles to be easily broken down into two pieces, which is great for use during traveling or for storing.
- Five Year Anti-Fade Paint Guarantee. All Kettler tricycles are painted using a special powder coating method. The tricycles are prepared with a computerized process and then encased in a multi step, high-quality, lead free, environmentally safe and water based powder coat paint that is guaranteed not to fade for 5 years.
- Made In Germany. All Kettler tricycles are made in Kettler's state-of-the-art German factory. Producing their tricycles in-house ensures that Kettler's quality control and products are second to none.
- Limited Turn Radius. Internal mechanism restricts the handlebars and front wheel from turning more than 45 degrees left or right, which along with a low center of gravity radically reducing the danger of tipping. This is a feature not commonly found in many of Kettler's competitors' and is often a deciding factor when choosing a Kettler trike.
- Includes A Push-Bar. All current Kettler tricycle models include a push-bar. This will be a life saver on the parents' back during the early years of your tricycle experience.
- Ability To Adjust. All Kettler tricycles come with seat adjustments, frame adjustments or both. This allows the tricycles to grow as your child grows.
- Frame Warranty. All Kettler tricycles come with a manufacturer's warranty on the frame. HKS models include a five year warranty, while all other models come with a three year manufacturers frame warranty.
Other Special Kettler Tricycle Features
- Kettler Navigation System. Included on the HKS Air Navigator, HKS Navigator and HKS Prinzessin Navigator models, the navigation feature adds ease to steering for the parents. A mechanism located below the back wheel, when turned on it allows the parents to swivel the back wheels by going side to side with the pushbar. No wires, no cables, it is as easy to turn on/off as flipping the switch!
- Air Tires. Included on the HKS Air Navigator these are real tubeless air tires on ball bearings that make for the smoothest ride in town. And don't worry they typically don't go flat unlike automobiles that obviously travel at much higher speeds.
- Great Tires. Models that don't come with the air tires come with Synthetic MaxXtread tires. These are hard plastic tires with built in traction. Like all Kettler parts, the tires have been built to last and will not lose traction or split even with years of use.
- Tipping Rear Bucket. The HKS Air Navigator and HKS Navigatortricycles all come with a yellow tipping rear bucket. The HKS Prinzessin comes equipped with a magenta tipping rear bucket. A lever allows the buckets to be fully tipped for easy transporting and dumping. The bucket is solidly constructed and can be used for anything from carrying plush toys to hauling sand.
- Tandem Adaptable (tandems sold separately). All Kettler tricycles with an S-Shaped Frame (HKS Air Navigator, HKS Navigator, and HKS Prinzessin) have the ability to add up to three tandem inserts. You can turn these tricycles from a one seater into a tricycle with multiple seats for hours of shared fun.
A first tricycle is a great way to build fond childhood memories and with Kettler you know that you are buying quality. With over fifty-five years of experience building award winning tricycles, Kettler is a company built on integrity and quality. Hopefully, the above article has helped you with your Kettler questions, but if questions remain you can compare individual tricycle features at the Kettler Tricycle Comparison Chart.